Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Opened doors.

Where do I start? I'm so excited to write this blog! God just gave me an "aha" moment and now I'm scrambling to find the right words to express what He's shown me. Okay, I'll start from the beginning... Every year the seminary has a "missions week" and all the students are placed into different groups that go into different communities with various ministry opportunities. This year I was placed in a group of two, to go to a care centre for young children who have HIV/AIDS or who are terminally ill with sickness. I was reading through information about the centre and, to put it simply, the home was founded by the government to provide a place for these children to die peacefully and in a loving environment. Yeah, let that sink in. Thankfully times have changed and there is medicine to help children who are HIV positive, allowing them to grow and thrive for as long as possible.

Today Paulette and I went to the centre to "check it out" and see what's happening there. Lets just say I almost had an emotional break down right there in front of the nice lady showing us around. If you know me, you know I love children and especially the young ones! I really don't think I can even start to explain what I saw...

Okay, but back to the point of why I'm writing this.. After the sweet woman introduced us to all the workers she showed us the play room. We walked in and I was immediately greeted by a very young and handsome 2 year old boy. I introduced myself and asked what his name was, but didn't get an answer. He simply looked at me (I was down at his level at this point). After a few seconds of "checking me out" he took my legs, spread them, turned around, and backed himself up to my chest and got as close as he could to me and then put my arms around him. I was in heaven...nothing beats that feeling! He just wanted to be close to someone. After a few minutes of staying like that he decided that he wanted a chair so that he could sit with the other young kids. I didn't even think twice about it, I went and got that child a chair!

Yesterday I was walking to my flat and I saw Matthew (one of the small children who live on campus with his grandfather) and he immediately ran up to me and greeted me with a sweet "Hello auntie Corina".. (one of my favourite things to hear!). After that we played for a while on the jungle gym and then we said our goodbyes and I went to make supper. After maybe 5 minutes Matthew simply walked into my flat and insisted that I come play with him again. How could I say no? I enjoyed pushing him on the swing and chasing him around...but I also knew I had a test to study for! So after a few more minutes I told him goodbye again and went to study for my test. Annnnnnd maybe 10 minutes later I had a little Matthew in my bedroom insisting again that "auntie Corina you must come play with me". This little one came into the front door without knocking and straight into my room to come and get me. I don't think I've had that much fun in a while!

So this evening I was just sitting and thinking about what I experienced the past few evenings with the little kids and God opened my eyes to more about Him as a Father. You see, God loves us as His children... He DELIGHTS in us! He wants what is best for us...He wants to give us good gifts and care for us. He wants us to be joyful and satisfied. I was immediately reminded of these two passages this evening:

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him! Matthew 7:11

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

I didn't think twice about letting that little boy nestle up to me..and I probably would have knelt there as long as he wanted to! I didn't think about asking if I should get a chair down for him or not, I simply did because I knew that's what he wanted (and I was sure it would be fine :) ). When Matthew insisted that I play with him, I always went. I enjoyed it! Both of these children were bold with me. The one didn't say much to me, but used his own little hands to put me where he wanted me and to put himself where he wanted! Matthew didn't even knock - He came straight to me :)

We as God's children should feel comfortable with Him to ask Him for what we need! He desires for us to be fulfilled IN HIM. He wants to show us His love. He wants us to know Him, to trust Him, to speak to Him. He wants to give us His joy. He wants His peace to rule our hearts. He wants us to walk through this life in the midst of His presence and in His will. Plain and simply, He delights in us when we are satisfied in Him! Don't be afraid to ask God for these things. He is your Daddy! He loves you and wants to give good gifts to you. He wants to give you life and life in abundance!

The Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love. Psalm 147:11

1 comment: